Our adoption process is designed to match you with the right pet, the first time. Our team are experts at rehoming animals who have specific needs that match your lifestyle, to ensure every adoption placement will last a lifetime.
The adoption process
Before you adopt
Carefully consider what type of pet would fit into your lifestyle. The following questions are a great place to start.
- How much time each day can you devote to a new pet?
- Do you have the physical fitness level required for the pet you want?
- Can you afford to cater to all the basic needs of a new pet?
- How will you be able to pay for vet fees if your new pet gets sick?
- Do you have existing pets or children to consider?
- Will a pet fit into your lifestyle?
- Does your home have the space to accommodate the pet you want?
- Are you allowed to keep pets at your current address, could this be a problem in the future?
Owning a pet is a great experience, but it’s also a big responsibility and can be a 10-15 year commitment. It’s important you feel confident in your ability to care for your new pet throughout the lifetime.
Choosing your new pet
If you’ve decided to adopt a pet, visit the online RSPCA Victoria adoption centre to see our available animals. Most will have had a behaviour assessment and you can read about their personality and needs in the online bio. Please read each bio carefully, our staff are well trained in matching pets with new homes and want what’s best for you and your new companion.
How to apply
You no longer need to submit an online application to adopt a dog, puppy, cat, kitten or small animal.
Walk-ins are welcome at our Burwood East and Peninsula locations:
Burwood: Opening hours: 10am – 4pm
Peninsula: Opening hours: 10am – 4pm
For our Warrnambool location, please call ahead to book an appointment to meet our available animals:
Warrnambool: 03 5561 2591, opening hours: 10am – 4pm
For livestock or poultry please register your interest by email to:
Burwood shelter email@example.com
Peninsula shelter or offsite firstname.lastname@example.org
Adoption fees can vary on the individual animal and the needs they have. Adoption fees only cover a fraction of the animal’s cost of care before adoption. Below is a rough guide to adoption fees.
- Puppy (under 6 months): $600 – $1,200
- Adult dog: $450 – $1,200
- Kitten (under 5 months): $225 – $400
- Adult cat: $140 – $800
- Rat, guinea pig and rabbit: $30 – $80
- Senior animal: No Fee!
- Poultry: $20 – $30
- Pony or horse – $150 – $1,000
- Other livestock – $45 – $60
*discounts are available for adopting in pairs.
The fee for each individual animal can be found on their adoption profile.
When you adopt from RSPCA Victoria, your new pet will be:
- Fully vet health and behaviour checked
- Treated for worms and fleas
In addition to your new best friend, dogs and cats will also go home with a special care pack to help you both settle into your new life together! This includes:
- Royal Canin food + 20% off your next bag of Royal Canin food from RSPCA Retail
- A Bell & Bone dental stick (dogs only)
- A bag of Cat Mate litter and a Cat Mate loyalty card (cats only)
- $30 off voucher for Advocate Parasite Prevention from RSPCA Retail
- Plus, some helpful pet care resources!
Watch below to see all the goodies in your care pack:
Dog Care Pack
Cat Care Pack
It’s finally time to take your new buddy home. Although this is a very exciting time, please appreciate that it can be very stressful for your new pet. Stay calm and give them plenty of time to adjust to their new life with you.
We have a post-adoption service to support you after you bring your new pet home and work through any challenges you may face. Remember, some rescue pets have been through a lot, so please be patient in the first few weeks, or even months, after adoption. You’ll be going on adventures, snuggling on the couch and building that special bond between you in no time.