RSPCA releases animal welfare election scorecard for voters today.
With less than a month until the 2022 state election, RSPCA Victoria has released its animal welfare scorecard to show voters where the major parties stand on five key reforms.
CEO Dr Liz Walker said while the RSPCA is politically impartial, the scorecard helps voters see which parties endorse each of the five big ticket reforms the charity wants the incoming government to implement:
1. Minimum, mandatory animal welfare standards for racehorses
2. A reduction to the current animal shelter quarantine period
3. The development of a holistic cat management plan
4. Mandatory video surveillance in abattoirs and knackeries
5. The replacement of the current Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (1986) with completely new, contemporary animal welfare legislation