Whilst overindulging during the Easter period may result in a few extra kilograms for humans, the consequences for our animal companions are much greater and much more serious. The accidental ingestion of chocolate or baked goods containing chocolate can lead to serious illness or even death for our beloved furry friends.
Why is chocolate so dangerous for animals?
Chocolate toxicosis is a potential problem for all of our
animal friends, however is it most common in dogs. This is because
chocolate always contains a key ingredient called theobromine which is
lethal to dogs. As well as theobromine, chocolate contains caffeine.
Caffeine is dangerous to all pets as it can cause both over stimulation
of the nervous system and increase our pet’s heart rate and tremors.
How much chocolate is toxic?
The toxic level depends on the type of chocolate and your pet’s body size. The darker the chocolate, the higher the stimulant content and risk to your pet.
As little as 130mg dark chocolate could be lethal to a 10kg dog.
How do I know if my pet is experiencing chocolate toxicosis?
Signs vary depending on your dogs size, the type of chocolate and the amount that has been eated. Signs could appear anywhere between 30mins to 4 hours after ingested.
Mild – vomiting / diarrhoea
Moderate – vomiting / diarrhoea, restlessness, increased urination
Severe – stiffness, excitement, seizures
These can be followed by depression, coma, seizure and death.
I think my pet has eaten chocolate, what should I do?
you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate, call your veterinarian
immediately. Often it is better to assume that the chocolate could be toxic and start the required treatment in order to prevent a tragic outcome.
RSPCA Victoria has private vet clinics located at our Burwood East and Peninsula animal care centres. You can contact our veterinary staff for advice or to make an appointment on 9224 2222.
How can I prevent my pet from consuming chocolate over the Easter period?
all the chocolate you can expect to be present in our homes over the
Easter holiday, please ensure you keep chocolate well out of your pets
reach. Chocolate wrappers and foil from chocolate eggs and bunnies can
also be of serious harm to your animal’s health as they could choke.